- Official Star Trek Icons for Mac OS v.1.0This highly detailed set of desktop icons is based on objects and vessels from the new movie from producer J.J. Abrams and are sure to please.Star Trek fans of all ages will enjoy decorating their Mac OS or Windows Vista desktop with icons such as ..
- Star Trek: Galaxy Conquest v.1.0STGC is a browser-based game set in the StarTrek (tm) universe which has been developed over three years and now finally has gone open-source. For support please visit the homepage of this project.
- Trek Tech for Mac OS v.1.0Thanks to the recent release of StarTrek Online, the franchise created by visionary Gene Roddenberry over 40 years ago, is once again all the rage. This new massive online multiplayer game from Cryptic Studios puts players at the helm of their very ..
- Colony7 for EF2 v.1.0Portation of Colony7 for EF2. Colony7 is a singleplayer mod for STARTREK: Voyager - Elite Force. We want to port it to EF2 and need YOUR help. We will soon release the code for chapter 1. If you want to help us, you hve to register in our ..
- Ifs v.1.12IFS is a full Fleet Management System for StarTrek play-by-email RPG's. It includes a website CMS (content management system), as well as a powerful backend to keep track of the ships, COs, and players in the ..
- Netrek v.2.9.3Netrek is a multiplayer battle simulation game with a StarTrek theme. Up to 16 players are divided into two teams that fight each other for dominion over the ..
- TitanGS Java v.0.2.5Titan GS Java (JTGS) turn based strategy game based on the StarTrek universe. This is the Java version. Eventually the game will even be fun, but now only exists as a vehicle for my education (it is a learning project), meaning it should always ..
- Trek7 v.rcTrek7 the original multiplayer network startrek game from the early-mid 70s. We are hoping to revive this classic (no, its not netrek/mtrek, not even close). hopefully the SF community can help port this to modern day ..
- MacX iPad DVD Video Converter Pack v.4.0.3MacX iPad DVD Video Converter Pack is a must-have tool for iPad users to convert any DVD and video files to MP4, H.264, MPEG-4, MOV for playback on Mac, iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini with retina display, iPad 2/3/4, QuickTime, Apple TV with high speed.
Star Trek soundtrack - Star Trek - D-A-C features music and sound effects taken from the new Star Trek movie. 12 player multiplayer - Featuring 4 gameplay modes and detailed Stat Tracking - Survival Mode, Death-match, Assault, Conquest Play against the computer alone or cooperatively with friends Variety of Powerups & Special Pickups Five ship. Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force is the first game based on the Star Trek Voyager universe. One blast from destruction, the U.S.S. Voyager is mysteriously transported into a hull space infested.
- Hangman Pro for Macintosh v.2.0.9Hangman Pro is a modern take on the classic hangman word-guessing game. It features colorful, non-violent graphics, digitized sounds, dozens of built-in word categories, thousands of words, unlimited custom lists and menu, timed games and photo fun.
- Star Titler for Mac OS v.2.0.1The Star Titler generator lets you recreate the look of the opening titles used by the original Star Wars movie in 1977.- Type or import your own text, customize its style and let it roll.- Depth blurring simulates characters going out-of-focus ..
- LEGO Star Wars II for Mac OS v.1.0Follows the Rebel Alliance’s battle to dismantle the Galactic Empire and rebuild a galaxy in pieces. From Darth Vader’s pursuit of Princess Leia aboard her blockade runner to a showdown on the reconstructed Death Star, the game ..
- Star Wars: Empire at War for Mac OS v.1.05 Rev APuts the power to command an entire war for the Star Wars galaxy in the hands of players, giving them the freedom to determine how they play the game within the completely scalable and accessible gameplay. Set a few years before the events of ..
- Star Defender 3 for Mac OS v.1.15The year is 2743 A.D., only two short years since the last war, and the Insectus have already prepared for their next wave, with new tricks to defeat you at every corner. The human forces are still weakened from Star Defender 2 battle and it is up ..
- New Star Tennis for Mac OS v.1.05Unlike any other tennis game out there. It couples a fun and addictive game of tennis with a detailed career mode that gives you a glimpse into the life of a young tennis star. Starting out as a 16 year old newcomer to the circuit you must train ..
- Jewel Quest: The Sleepless Star Premium Edition for Mac OS v.1.0Follow the travels and travails of intrepid explorer, Percy Pack, in Jewel Quest: The Sleepless Star. On a quest for a jewel called the Sleepless Star, Percy discovers that the jewel has been stolen from a Native American village by an unscrupulous ..
- Star Defender 4 for Mac OS v.1.11A side-scrolling shooter that turns boundless space into one big warzone. Enter the ravaging struggle between insects and humans and make sure not a single alien escapes its part of free lead. Star Defender 4 has 8 extra large and unique missions, ..
- Big star pendant v.1.0In you'll see amazing Big star pendants.
- Star Defender 4 for Mac OS X v.1.11Who can give a dare to numerous hordes of Inserctus and to protect the native Galaxy? What do the Black Holes hide inside them and where do they lead? To answer these questions one should become a hero of Star Defender 4 game who is brave and strong ..
- North Star Bulletin Board System v.1.0The North Star Bulletin Board System (NSBBS) is an intelligent Java based Web Application. NSBBS was developed using the MVC architecture and should install on almost any J2EE compliant Web server. Features include flood prevention and PM ..
- Create A Mall for Mac OS You are Kelly, a rising star in a mall development
- Star Defender 3 for Mac OS The year is 2743 A.D., only two short years since the last
- Jewel Quest: The Sleepless Star Premium Follow the travels and travails of intrepid explorer, Percy
- Star Wars: Empire at War for Mac OS Puts the power to command an entire war for the Star Wars
- Hangman Pro for Macintosh Hangman Pro is a modern take on the classic hangman
- Rangy Lil's Wild West Adventure for Mac OS Rangy Lil is the star attraction of Pecos Bill`s traveling
- Jolly Rover for Mac OS It be the golden age of pirates! Dogs of the sea! Quite
- LEGO Star Wars II for Mac OS Follows the Rebel Alliance’s battle to dismantle the
- 2010 Nautical Almanac Complete 2010 Nautical Almanac in pdf format. Includes star
- MacX iPad DVD Video Converter Pack MacX iPad DVD Video Converter Pack is a must-have tool for
|Star Trek character|
Captain Mackenzie Calhoun, flanked by his mentor Jean-Luc Picard and Ambassador Spock, on the cover of the 1997 novel, Star Trek: New Frontier: House of Cards. Art by Keith Birdsong.
|Affiliation||United Federation of Planets|
|Posting||USS Grissom, First Officer|
USS Excalibur, Captain
Mackenzie Calhoun (born M'k'n'zy of Calhoun) is a fictional character from the Star Trekuniverse. Created by Peter David, Calhoun is an extraterrestrial from the planet Xenex, and is captain of the FederationstarshipUSS Excalibur.
Calhoun appears primarily in Star Trek: New Frontier, a series of spin-off novels and comic books set during the 24th century era of Star Trek: The Next Generation, in which he is the main character. He first appeared in the 1997 New Frontierdebut novel, Star Trek: New Frontier: House of Cards.
Calhoun is the only Star Trek character that has not appeared in any of the Star Trektelevision series or movies to have an action figure.
In 1997 Pocket Books introduced Star Trek: New Frontier, a novel series written by Peter David that featured a combination of original characters and recurring, supporting characters from the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation and its spinoffs. The series is centered upon the U.S.S. Excalibur, a starship of the United Federation of Planets, which is commanded by the series' star, Captain Mackenzie Calhoun. The series was a popular success, and led to New Frontier comic books and appearances in Star Trek video games and action figures.
Fictional character history
Calhoun is born M'k'n'zy of Calhoun on the planet Xenex, in the city of Calhoun. He grows up under the brutal rule of the Danteri, who occupied his world. As a child, M'k'n'zy witnesses the public execution of his father in a town square by Falkar of Danter, which spurs him to grow into a rebel warlord. He kills his first person at age 14, and is given command of a strike vessel that marked the beginning of the Xenexian rebellion. By the time M'k'n'zy is 20, he liberates Xenex. Shortly after doing so, he fathers a son, Xyon, with Catrine, a woman from the Calhoun clan whose husband had died, as she requests as part of Xenexian culture.
Calhoun encounters Jean-Luc Picard, who, while commanding the USS Stargazer, visits Xenex as a representative of the United Federation of Planets to assist in negotiations between Xenex and Danter. Picard convinced Calhoun to join Starfleet, the scientific and defensive arm of the Federation. Calhoun leaves Xenex, a move which rouses the ire of many of his people, to enter Starfleet Academy, where he meets Elizabeth Shelby, who would become his lover, rival and, eventually, fiancée. Their engagement ends after Calhoun took the Kobayashi Maru test.
As a Starfleet officer, Calhoun served aboard the USS Grissom, where he meets Katarina 'Kat' Mueller, who would become his lover. It was on the Grissom that he learns to play poker, and establishes a reputation for being able to bluff his way through any hand, even evading an empath's attempt to get a bead on him. Calhoun was present during a catastrophic event aboard the Grissom, which led to his apparent departure from Starfleet. In reality, he becomes an undercover operative for head of Starfleet Intelligence Admiral Alynna Nechayev who, years afterward, fearing Calhoun was getting 'too deep' into the lifestyle of the thugs and criminals he was associating with, pulled him out and gave him his own starship to command, the USS Excalibur. It was in taking this command that he is reunited with both Shelby, who was now his First Officer, and Mueller, whom he picked as his Executive Officer (the terms are normally synonymous on the various television series, but in the New Frontier novels, a First Officer heads the ship's day shift, while the Executive Officer commands the night shift watch). Calhoun is assigned to Sector 221-G, the area of space of the former Thallonian Empire, which has collapsed, resulting in destabilization of the region.
Calhoun makes an appearance in the 2007 Star Trek: The Next Generation novel Before Dishonor by Peter David. In the novel, Calhoun encounters Picard en route to Sector 001 to defend Earth against a new Borg threat.
Calhoun's older brother, D’ndai, dies during an alien invasion of his homeworld, Xenex, in the 2011 novel Blind Man's Bluff.
The Mirror Universe counterpart of Calhoun first appears in 'Cutting Ties', a story in the 2007 anthologyStar Trek Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances. In the mirror universe, instead of witnessing his father's fatal beating at the hands of the Danteri, young M'k'n'zy begs for his father's life, insisting that he has no knowledge of D'ndai's rebellious activities. Humiliated by what he sees as his son's weakness, Gr'zy disowns the boy, who is treated as an outcast. When Praetor Hiren, the leader of the Danteri's allies, the Romulans, comes to Calhoun, he takes the boy, whom he renames 'Muck', to live with him on Romulus, as assurance against further rebellion. The abusive Hiren gives Muck a scar on his face corresponding to the one possessed by Captain Calhoun in our universe. After a year in Hiren's residence, Hiren orders the boy to execute Gr'zy, who has continued his rebellion, but Gr'zy commits suicide before Muck can do this. The furious Hiren banishes Muck to the mines of Remus, where the young slave endures years of torment from other miners, until he kills his tormenters. He is eventually purchased by the Mirror Soleta and her father, Rojan, and becomes Soleta's lover. Muck and Soleta are present during a meeting arranged by Praetor Hiren between Rojan and the Mirror Lord Si Cwan of the Thallonian Empire and Falkar of Danter aboard Si Cwan's ship, the Stinger. There, Muck meets the Mirror Kalinda, Burgoyne 182, Zak Kebron, Robin Lefler, and Elizabeth Shelby. Muck discovers that the Mirror Mark McHenry's god-like powers are used as the ship's intelligence and power source.
Rojan is murdered on the orders of Hiren, along with Falkar and Shelby, enraging the heartbroken Muck. Si Cwan, Kebron, and Burgoyne are also killed, and Muck and Soleta take control of the Stinger, with Muck intending to destroy the surface of Danter, Romulus, Xenex, and every planet he can find, arguing that the universe deserves to die. McHenry shows Muck the Mackenzie Calhoun of our universe, and the life he has led. Inspired by the possibilities he can fight for, Muck destroys only Danter's military infrastructure and uninhabited areas of its surface, liberating Xenex. Inspired by his counterpart, he takes the name 'Mac', and begins his life anew as a freedom fighter.
Calhoun and his crew next appear in the 2008 comic book miniseries Star Trek: New Frontier: Turnaround. It is revealed that they embarked on a series of successful strikes against the Alliance, during which the mirror Edward Jellico joined Mac's crew. During one such engagement, Soleta is killed, and the Stinger finds itself transported through a portal in space into the prime universe. Mac's crew spends the next several weeks making allies, before stealing the Paradox, an experimental timeship created by Starfleet and the Daystrom Institute, which Mac intends to use to re-write the Mirror Universe's history to prevent the Alliance from taking over his galaxy. His plan is foiled by the crews of the Excalibur, the Trident, and Bravo Station, and his counterpart from the prime universe, Captain Calhoun, who cautions him not to try to reshape an entire universe, lest catastrophic results occur. When Calhoun tells him that Admiral Shelby is aboard Bravo Station, which is being pummeled by the Paradox, Mac surrenders, and the Paradox is destroyed. Mac takes his crew back to the Mirror Universe, where the mirror McHenry reveals that he arranged the confrontation between the two Calhouns so that Mac would reach the right conclusion himself, and call off the plan.
Calhoun next appears in 'Homecoming', a short story in the 2009 anthology Star Trek: Mirror Universe - Shards and Shadows. The Stinger has now been renamed the Excalibur, and has embarked on a campaign against the Alliance, gathering a small army as it attacks Alliance colonies, becoming a symbol of the rebellion. The Excalibur rescues the Mirror Selar from an escape pod. Selar, a scientist and spy disguised as a Romulan named Thue, was part of a team en route to Romulus to assemble a thalaron bomb in order to establish weapons parity with the Alliance. Her cargo vessel, which carried the bomb's final component, C-170, was attacked by the Alliance to prevent the Romulans from using the bomb against them. The Excalibur crew track down the hijacked supply ship and retake it, before journeying to Romulus with the C-170. As they assemble the bomb, they are confronted by Praetor Hiren, meeting Mac for the first time since his childhood. Hiren is forced into an allegiance with Mac against the Alliance, who arrive to take possession of the thalaron bomb, which they intend to test detonate on Romulus. During the ensuing melee, Hiren, who had tried to prevent an open confrontation with the Alliance, orders his forces in orbit to attack the Alliance ship battling the Excalibur, and the bomb is accidentally detonated. Mac and his crew, along with Hiren, are transported to the Excalibur. Romulus is rendered uninhabitable for a millennium, with only 50,000 Romulans surviving among their fleet - which, on Hiren's orders, proceeds to join Mac's rebel forces.
Personality and appearance
Calhoun is depicted as intelligent, cunning, canny, resourceful and sneaky. His success as a tactician is due in part to his ability to sense imminent danger, and anticipate his enemies' moves. As a young rebel, he trained himself to control his respiration, heartbeat and pulse in order to make himself a more efficient killer, though Peter David has explicitly made it unclear whether this ability is common to Xenexians or unique to Calhoun.
Edward Jellico sees Calhoun as an unpredictable maverick and a cowboy, and Jean-Luc Picard has observed that reverence was never one of Calhoun's strong suits. Calhoun feels that, deep down, he is a savage, and that any appearance of civilization on his part is a façade that he wears like a cloak, though he keeps the scar Falkar gave him as a reminder of his roots. Calhoun has commented on his personality thus: 'I’m an officer. I’m just not a gentleman.'
Like all Xenexians, Calhoun resembles a human almost entirely, with the exception of his purple eyes. His skin has a leathery, burnished texture, the years of hardship he endured early in life having given him a weathered look, with several deep creases already lining his forehead by the time he was 19. Calhoun has a scar down the right side of his face from his right temple down across his cheek, left by the wound Falkar inflicted on him with his short sword in 2353. He is a head shorter than his older brother, D'ndai. The renditions of Calhoun on the New Frontier novel covers, and in the comic book Double Time, consistently depict him as resembling a Caucasian human male with dark brown hair, though it appears as black in Turnaround.
The Mirror Universe Mac has been described as having black hair, and appears thus in Turnaround. Whereas our universe's Calhoun has a scar down the right side of his face, the mirror Calhoun has one down the left side of his. Mac spent a year on Romulus educating himself in areas such as philosophy, war strategy, and chess. He learned to defend himself during his many years in the Reman mines.
Fans have noted the similarity between Calhoun and another of Peter David's Star Trek characters, Commander Quintin Stone from David's 1991 TNG novel, A Rock and a Hard Place. David has explained that Calhoun was not intentionally a remodeled Stone, but that both were based to some extent by characters portrayed by film actor Mel Gibson: the apparently unstable 'cowboy diplomat' Stone was based on Martin Riggs from the Lethal Weapon films, and Calhoun, who was a rebel leader at 20, was inspired by the Scottish rebel leader William Wallace from Braveheart. David has added that Calhoun is closer to the historical Wallace, in that like Calhoun, Wallace was much younger than the real-life Gibson was when he portrayed Wallace in the movie.
In addition, Calhoun, who is depicted as something of a cowboy, has been compared by other characters in the stories to James T. Kirk, as in a conversation with Edward Jellico in the novel Martyr. David has stated that on his blog that Calhoun indeed looks up to and identifies with Kirk, seeing himself very much in the cowboy mold that Kirk personified.
In other media
Playmates Toys produced a limited edition Captain Calhoun 4.5 inch action figure which was available only via mail order through the Star Trek Communicator fan club magazine, and began shipping in September 1998. There were approximately 10,000 of these figures produced.
In September 2005, Calhoun made a cameo appearance in 'Vigil', a sixth-season episode of the Star Trekfan film series Star Trek: Hidden Frontier, in which he meets his old lover, Elizabeth Shelby, now commanding the Excelsior, in the Briar Patch. Calhoun was played by James Cawley, producer and star of Star Trek: New Voyages, in which he plays James T. Kirk. Peter David stated on his blog that although the creators of the episode did not check with him beforehand, he thought it was very entertaining.
Any Video Converter Free Mac is the best free video converter to convert any video to MP4, AVI, WMV, MP3, and download YouTube videos, edit video on macOS for free. Any DVD Converter for Mac does a perfect DVD converting and video converting job for you. Compatible with most popular Mac OS Any DVD Converter for Mac is specifically designed for Mac users. It’s compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS 10.7 lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion, etc. Rip Blu-ray/DVD disc and convert videos to video on Mac. Rip Blu-ray/DVD disc/movie to MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, WMV, FLV and more video formats on Mac; Convert various video files like MTS, TS, MXF, M2TS, VOB, MKV, FLV and others on Mac; Effect, Trim, Crop and Watermark any video source file; Highly support iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max, iPhone XS/XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8/7, iPhone 6s. Any dvd converter for mac torrent. Any Video Converter Free for Mac. Any Video Converter Free for Mac is an universal and versatile free video conversion software for Mac users. This Mac video converter freeware can convert between almost all video formats including ASF, AVI, MPEG1/2/4, WMV, MOV, MP4, 3GP as an excellent Mac AVI MPEG converter.
In the online game Star Trek Online, Calhoun is a Starfleet mission contact based on Starbase K-7. He issues PvP missions to Federation players so they can fight other STO players playing the Klingon faction.
- ^'Star Trek – The Reading List'. Lincoln, Nebraska: City of Lincoln, Nebrasks Libraries. Archived from the original on March 23, 2019. Retrieved November 2, 2019.
- ^ abcdefPeter David. Star Trek: New Frontier: House of Cards; 1997
- ^ abcdPeter David. Star Trek New Frontier: The Captain's Table, Book 5: Once Burned
- ^Peter David. Star Trek: New Frontier: Martyr
- ^Peter David. Star Trek: New Frontier: Stone and Anvil
- ^Peter David. Star Trek: New Frontier: Into the Void
- ^David, Peter (2011). Blind Man's Bluff. Simon and Schuster. ISBN978-1-4516-1169-4.
- ^ abcPeter David. 2007; Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances; 'Cutting Ties'; Page 199
- ^ abPeter David. Star Trek: New Frontier: Turnaround #5; July 2008; IDW Publishing
- ^Peter David. Star Trek: New Frontier: Turnaround #1, March 2008, IDW Publishing
- ^Peter David (2009). 'Homecoming', Star Trek Mirror Universe: Shards and Shadows, Pocket Books, pp. 271-310.
- ^David. House of Cards, page 7
- ^David, Peter (1997). Star Trek: New Frontier: Into the Void. p. 17.
- ^House of Cards page 12
- ^David, Peter (2011). Star Trek: New Frontier: Blind Man's Bluff. Pocket Books. p. 2
- ^Blind Man's Bluff, pp. 2 and 81
- ^House of Cards p. 139
- ^House of Cards p. 140
- ^House of Cards page 154
- ^David. House of Cards pp. 155-156
- ^David. Into the Void, p. 36
- ^David. House of Cards p. 24
- ^David. House of Cards p. 36
- ^Peter David (April 2008). Star Trek: New Frontier: Turnaround #4 IDW Publishing. p. 22.
- ^David, Peter (June 20, 2006). Peter David. 'What'cha wanna know?'. peterdavid.net. June 20, 6:25pm post.
- ^David, Peter (October 21, 2003). Peter David.'WHAT'CHA WANNA KNOW?' peterdavid.net. October 21, 2:06am post.
- ^David, Peter (November 26, 2003). 'WHAT'CHA WANNA KNOW?' peterdavid.net. November 26, 11:43am post.
- ^Advertisement printed on the inside back cover of multiple Star Trek novels published in 1998 and 1999.
- ^Peter David. 'Q&A'; April 14, 2007 entry on Peter David's blog; April 16, 2007 12:42am post.
- ^'Star Trek: Online Preview', Strategy Core, February 1, 2010
- Star Trek: New Frontier: House of Cards at Amazon.com